The text translator service is intended for translating short blocks of text from one language to another. There is a limit of 3000 characters including spaces and paragraph breaks per text block (10 000 characters including spaces and paragraph breaks for
Text translation form
Translate.Ru is a simple and easy-to-use text translator.
To translate a text:
- Select the topic of the text to be translated. This will allow both to perform a high quality technical translation and to translate business texts, and, also, to translate the living language of the SMS chat.
Enter a text you want to translate or paste it from clipboard into the source text field.
Select the translation direction. To do so, select the source language in the first list, and then select the target language in the second list. If you do not know the language of the text, select "Detect language" in the first list.
The "Swap languages" button located between language lists is intended to reverse the translation direction. The button is unavailable if the reverse direction is not accessible.
- Click the "Translate" button.
ou can also translate by pressing [Enter].
If the source text consists of a single word, then in the “Translation” field besides the translation of the source word in the appropriate form you will see the brief information from the dictionary of the specified topic about the source word or about the word from which it was generated.
To obtain detailed information about the work with the dictionary, see "Dictionary references".
In some cases, the window with the translation result is marked with the icon and is highlighted. Point to the icon to get a hint or a tip.
Selecting the view mode
You can select the mode of viewing the results of translation. To change the view mode, click the View Mode button to the right of the Translate button.
There are 3 view modes:
- «From left to right». In this case the translation result appears to the right of the source text.
- «From the top down». In this case the translation result appears below the source text.
- «Automatically». In this case the view mode changes automatically depending on the width of the browser window. In the wide window the "From left to right" mode will be applied, in the narrow – "From top to bottom".
Working with the Clipboard
To paste text for translation into the “Source text” window from another application (for example, a document editor or mail client), you can use the standard menus or shortcut keys.
Simply select the text to be translated in the original application and then right-click to open the context menu and choose “Copy”. You can also simply select the required text and press [Ctrl]+[C] on the keyboard.
In the "Source text" window, right-click to open the context menu and select "Paste" or press [Ctrl]+[V] to paste the clipboard contents into the window.
To copy the translation results to the clipboard in order to paste them into another application, select the text in the "Translated text" window and right-click to open the context menu and select "Copy" or press [Ctrl]+[C].
Spell-checking before translation may improve the quality of the final result by eliminating spelling errors in the source text.
To use it, simply click the "Check Spelling" button on the toolbar.
The results of the spellcheck are displayed, along with suggestions to replace unknown or mis-spelled words.
Translate.Ru can be used not only as a translator for the coherent and complex sentences, but also as a dictionary. In case you translate a single word, the dictionary reference that includes possible variants of translation of the word with information about a part of speech and the topic of translation will be shown as a result of translation. Also, for the word of a source language the following can be specified:
- transcription (for words translated from English);
- icon of the loudspeaker
(by clicking it, you can listen to the pronunciation of the word. The pronunciations have been provided by our partners – the website Forvo.com);
- if the pronunciation of the word of source language is lack in Forvo.com base, the icon of the microphone will appear . By clicking it, you will be directed to the website Forvo.com where you will be able to record the pronunciation of your word or to ask a native to pronounce it.
Besides the possible options of translation of a word, you can also check the complete dictionary reference for the translated word. To access the complete dictionary reference, click one of the links: "Declination" (for nouns and adjectives), "Conjugation" (for verbs) or "Show the complete dictionary reference" (that is placed below the translation).
If your keyboard does not contain specific characters for different languages, you can use a virtual keyboard to enter such symbols into the source text window.
To activate the virtual keyboard, click the “Virtual Keyboard” button
. This will open a window with a keyboard for the language used in the source text. You can enter text into the window by clicking the corresponding buttons on the screen.
Besides, you may change the layout of the virtual keyboard by selecting a language directly in the virtual keyboard window. The direction of translation will not be changed.
How to improve the quality of machine translation
Machine translation quality depends on the quality of the source text. The recommendations below will help to prepare the source text for optimal translation quality:
- Take care with punctuation. Make sure you insert a period (.) at the end of each sentence.
To get a correct translation of a coherent text, please check that there are no line breaks in the middle of a sentence, because this symbol will be considered the end of the sentence.
- Use the spellchecker to avoid spelling errors.
- Use diacritical marks correctly.
- Use upper and lower case correctly.
- Try to use simple syntactic constructions with direct word order.
- Avoid omitting syntactic words (even if the grammar allows it).
- Use only conventional abbreviations.
- Avoid using slang.