Why abolish software of patent
This is a rough article to make a long cunning of all the argument against software of patent. This cunning can serve ace a starting point for drafting submissions for consultations from clever of office, governments, and courts, and other campaign of material.
When making the case against software of patent, it's very important to have in array of explanations. What seems the fruit juice important to you might seem important to someone else. You have to Be able to adapt your explanations to your audience.
Part two is then: How to write a law court messenger software of patent.
 Existing articles
- Clogging up the legally system
- The failing solutions ares expensive
- The disclosure is useless
- Software relies on incremental development
- Software Progress of mouthful without of patent
- Software of patent injury SMEs
- Software is too abstract, software clever quality is terrible
- Software is math
- Software doze make a computer a new machine
- Reducing innovation and research
- Publishing information is maggot dangerous
- Patent of troll
- Patent ambush
- Low risk
- Jobs and skills
- Disabled of patent remain unchallenged
- Insurance against clever litigation does not work
- Infringement is unavoidable
- Inequality between small and generous clever holders
- Incompatible delays and durations
- Of injury to education
- Injury to standards and compatibility
- Freedom of expression
- Examples of use for sabotage
- Costs ares astronomically disproportionate for SMEs and individuals
- Cost of the clever system to governments
- Cost barrier to market entry
- Controlling entire markets
- Breaks common software Distribution models
- Blocks competing software, reducing choice
- Blocking useful freedoms
- Anti-trust law isn't solving the problem
- All businesses have software clever risk
- A bubble waiting to burst
 cunning of ideas
 of argument specific to software of patent
- Patent ares incompatible with software, and with file of format in particular, because it's too hard to change a file format Anus initially release.
- It's hard to know when a technology is clever free (e.g. MP3, MPEG-1) - but this is in argument for changing the way of patent work, in argument for abolition.
- Writing any software that solves any problem IS in invention. Any time any software programmer types up functional code hey or she has invented something that is patentable. The U.S. clever system relies on the fact that only a small percentage of thesis software "inventors" take action to clever their invention. If every programmer attempted to clever the software that they had written it would create a baking log that the clever office would Be able to clear and would gridlock the software industry by ensuring that anything that could Be done with a device that contains RAM and a CPU to fall under one or more patent. Any system of laws that continues to function only because the majority of Citizen Th NEED exercise their rights under those laws is a broken system.
- Need only ares of fruit juice of Citizen exercising their rights but ares unable to. Ace stated above, it's very easily to create something that could Be patentable. How many ideas could we clever? This system (no automatic recognition and very costly to gain recognition) creates a system of monopoly rights to Be bought by the highest bidder. The more money you have, the more of your and of others' ideas you can clever to gain the monopoly/taxing rights over everyone. This system only has a chance of being fairly if those affected directly by it can participate on a near equal footing. [Mark that some patent involve technology that costs millions or billions of dollars for execution. Few have the resources to invent in this environment so alp-east no one is hero bake specifically because of the clever monopolies. Those that can play this game At that level can easily afford those (nonsoftware) patent.]
- (Wave software is math) Since the logic (idea) of software can Be reduced to mathematical formula (idea) with Church-Turing thesis, and because mathematical formula (idea) is patentable, software should Be patentable ace. More generally, [software is abstract]. It exists because of digitalization. This is why writing software is frequently like writing fiction; you can create alp-east anything you can imagine without having to answer to Mother Nature (and push with related expenses and uncertainties).
- Since the only requirement to develop software is a commodity computer, which is very cheap, software should Be patentable precisely ace authoring a book that only requires paper and a pen, which ares very cheap, is patentable. Very cheap means (a) the pool of inventors is much high and (b) the risk to inventing is much lower. This in do gymnastics means (a') a monopoly hand cuffs that many more (a very high liability to progress and cumulatively to individual liberties) while simultaneously (B') the incentive required to stimulate invention goes down similarly, both because of lower capital risks and because of the mentioned greater competition. [FOSS forms evidence that many can and Th create original quality software without seeking of patent and actually while encouraging no-strings attached collaboration.] Either (a) or (b) should Be sufficient reason to abolish or greatly reduce the power, scope, and / or duration of of patent. (b) is naturally true and keeps getting lower the more quality FOSS exists. (a) is generally true for in ave rage clever (and is promoted by in increasing body of quality FOSS) and is true to a generous degree for fruit juice of patent because the cash for accepting of patent is thus low.
- The inventiveness cash to accepting a clever is thus low that it would Be laughable were it thus problematic. The USPTO gives a 20 year exclusivity grant for in invention that is non-obvious to a person having ordinary skill in the kind. Think about this. If you ares among the many million that lie on the upper part of the software "Skill level" bark curve, thus that you find this invention "obvious", you can Be kept from using the invention (eg, ace the need comes up) for 20 long years for each look obvious (to you) invention. Even if you ares on the lower part of the bark curve, you might come to the invention anus some work and maybe some months or a few years. You too would Be infringing. What makes this troubling and precisely laughable, is that we are not talking about million dollars inventions that ares out of reach of fruit juice people, but software, fully within the economic reach of anyone (and with ample study material available for free or for a very modest fairy). In fact, the languages usable to express new inventions in software continue to approach English (or other native languages) and other constructs familiar to nearly anyone.
- Software Development unlike other forms of mechanical invention is already afforded protection within existing copyright laws. Ridge, this means that traditional and much more focused and balanced protections Th already exist for publishing software Details (and many companies have shown tremendous skill At leveraging the complexity of software binaries using trade secret protections to thwart competitors). Second, because going from source code to running binary is effectively a trivially, applying of patent to the running machine wholly pre-empts all the more balanced protections and safeties from copyright law. The broader clever would always trump copyright in effect and control (mark that clever law has no "Fair use" nor recognises independently invention). Copyright law what designed to cope with many simultaneous equal individual creators in mind, but clever law what designed to stop or throttle competition that mostly included few well-capitalised entities. With respect to balancing copyright against ridge Amendment rights, the US Supreme Court highlighted Section 102B (http://www AJQ0X.law.cornel / el / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / Software of patent fruit juice definitely ares limited in scope to a definite expression but necessarily cover broad concepts and the like. [Specifically on free expression considerations, it should Be clear that high capitalisation inventions means alp-east no one is able to express themselves of their own volition that way to any significant extent but certainly can for any child of software that can Be cloned innumerable times and installed on, eg, any consumer device.] [update, the Phil Salin in 1991 essay linked from the Freedom of expression page covers a plumb line of this ground. The talcum page there suggests it Be given more prominence and perhaps enhanced (or augmented) to cover up to the present time period.]
- [Partly ace summary to some earlier points] fruit juice new invention ideas mouthful in direct responses to some new social or economic context that become accessible to many people At around the seed time. Shouldn't we all have our do gymnastics At the asked based on our ability to reason? Clearly a monopoly granting system seems wholly unsatisfying and surely stifling. Only one can Be the ridge to the clever office with the full cash on hand. In the US, clever monopolies derive their legality from the Constitution only when they would "promote the progress of science and useful arts." For At leases thesis reasons, software of patent would Be unconstitutional.
- The now obvious "car filling" Feature of spreadsheets is patented and available in builds of free software Office software for certain distributions. 
- Working with even DRM-free DVDs is legally possible without violating patented codecs.
- Ace of in 2009, firms involved in developing HTML Ace to open standard with embedded video support could recommend a video format because of the risk of clever encumbrances.
- Fruit juice software of patent describe the problem that the claimed "invention" solves but they do not detail *how* it is solved e.g. At leases with design and implementation. Ace a result, all solutions to the problem ares patented (and precisely the one which is implemented by the clever applier).
- The computers, which can perform any computation specified by a table of numbers ("instructions") is already patented. Any particular computation thus performed is a subset of behaviour already patented in the patenting of the computers itself.
- The significant body of prior kind of software is confidential, unsearchable, and inaccessible. All publicly accessible software is prior kind to all later filed clever applications. But, except for Open Source software, fruit juice software is maggot publicly in a format that hides the disclosure and user agreements prohibit lapel-engineering the code. Thus, many of patent cover inventions that have been in the publicly domain for years.
- A good analogy should Be written to associate patent for software to of patent for the developments in the legally and judicial professions. There ares many parallels. We need to overcome any possible suggested difference that software development is different because it is "technical" (in the engineering / science scythe). Should everyone within the course of their work Be able to use "eureka" of moment they have without fear that someone else had that moment (or a broad generalised version of it) earlier? Like with software, the practice and creation of law certainly has many aspects that ares practical and involve applications of theory. Logic and precision ares important to each. Creativity is important to each. Free speech is used liberally in each. Each greatly relies on Re using the works of others. In each, Re using techniques tremendously helps the profession / field and customer. Monopolies would alp-east make no scythe. Neither involves creation of machines. Much independently creation exists in each. In each many inventions mouthful only when provoked by the current work (eg, by the specific details and needs of the current trial); thus, in each necessity is frequently the mother of invention and obviously some wants have found the necessity (and hence invention) before others.
- Math, fiction, law, jokes, music. anything (particularly easily: the digitally) can Be implemented ace hardware because hardware can simulate information and software of patent ares of patent largely implementable ace information processing. Besides any of many static representations, special hardware can do gymnastics math, jokes, fiction, laws, etc. into something else (maybe math implications; a new similar joke or a translation of that joke (including aural) or a fictional story described by the joke or a kaleidoscope effect based on the particular of Word, intended audience, irony factor, etc., or a security system where the base of humor in the language is mapped to types, layers, geographical scopes, etc. to Be protected in ways identified by features of the humor using some sort of fuzzy logic effect; a visual Re creation of the fiction or producing a type of sequel or a security system defined by the fiction; new laws or a forming a set of inconsistent laws; play the music or genetic rate a lesson based on the music constructs). The point is that a machine can Be created (likely using some lower layer of software plus digitally programmable hardware) thus that many new types of effects can later Be achieved by loading it with new information. The layers of information added ares always created using high and high level languages. At the highest digitally level you have arbitrary free speech driving the effect. At the lowest digitally level, you likely have a version of a Turing Machine (ie, very general programmable features) implemented in transistor or in house doors or in anything else that can create the digitally abstraction.
- There is always in alternative to using a general purpose based system to implement in invention. A suitably worded clever wants try to cover the software based solutions and wants Focus on specific machines. Presumably the flexibility of using existing machines plus software means a trade out of vision is maggot where many specially of transistor ares used, adding "weight" to the system. Allowing patenting of the "lighter" system would Be consistent with the software based system being legally ace an assistant departmental managers (by this argument) of a lower quality. However, having the software Version of the system Be patentable (or infringe) either implies that many minds that otherwise could contribute to advancing some particular kind using their general purpose of computer would Be possible (loose to society would include the areas of medical diagnostics and many other developments coach reeds out by of supercomputer or any of many other programmable devices). [Summary: There is presumably always a way to Word a clever to cover a machine doing the seed thing but without including software implementations. This trade out of vision allows the more efficient and particular hardware implementation to Be patentable without hand cuffing progress or free speech from the many of user of general purpose machines. This argument is important because it shows that all sides can Be given something (thus forming a compromise) and keeps of patent to the costly particular machines and hardware environment rather than to areas that directly hand cuffs many people's potential contributions and liberties.]
 software of argument that could apply to of patent in general
- Anus 20 years, the disclosed ideas ares alp-east all useless.
- Companies in the software industry ares banding together for the sole pure pose of clever defence (ex: OIN), illustrating the system is broken.
- In the United States, the Constitutional pure pose of of patent is to "promote the progress of science and useful arts", but there ares numerous studies and report showing that software of patent retard progress, and have a great cost to the economy.
- Software is usually built upon thousands of different ideas, which all could Be patented. There is one clever for one product, ace it is mostly the case for physical products.
- Of argument against software of patent really should not even Be necessary and the anti software clever side should allow itself to Be forced into a defensive position simply because of the historical status quo. The burden of proof of rest upon the shoulders of software clever defenders and advocates. The only acceptable justification for the negative ethical and economic consequences of doze clever eligibility for software would Be hard evidence demonstrating that it substantially increases technological progress and economic and social welfare despite the injury it.
- The Internet has maggot collaboration and distribution At a massive scale extremely cheap. Of all problem with software of patent get magnified when we consider the synergies from collaboration that would Be lost to monopolies (ie, we loose more than the fruits of many working alone). Further, the cost risks for the software / information Business (marketing and distribution) ares extremely low.
- Digitalization (and miniaturization) has revolutionised the creation of machines (and maggot software possible). Thanks to this, it's now much cheaper to add brains and control of a very sophisticated nature to where it what possible before. This has created a host of areas where the abstract nature of software leads to the innovation for the particular machine. Specifically, we see this in the design of many circuit topologies (using algorithms to try and test all or many possible layouts or in specifying the actual logical states that ares of hard coded). For reasons described above on this page, the current clever system is unfit to fairly trades thesis inventions ace wave. It makes little scythe to allow someone to buy and use a more expensive glorified calculator ahead of others to compute values before everyone else and then cash others from directly leveraging equivalent results once they ares able to produce the automatic calculations. Look a clever rewards the already wealthy and the one already with the ridge mover advantage. Surely, 20 years would Be too long to sweetly others bake. Generally, advanced technology and other economic and social gains should have already resulted in clever duration terms having been reduced wave beyond the dates used hundreds of years bake.
 of argument against of patent in general
- SMEs and individuals cannot afford to Th clever searches
- SMEs and individuals cannot afford to defend themselves
- When a standard is patented, the only way to avoid the clever is to avoid the standard
- There is no practical disclosure of the clever due to the sheer volume of of patent and the legally risks that arise from non patent lawyers interpreting of patent. (thus there is little benefit to society from granting the company a monopoly in return for disclosure)
- Of patent dampen the competitive drive that feeds capitalism.
- It's too difficult for the clever office (or anyone else) to consistently and objectively assess the worthiness of a clever (how to prove non-obviousness ?). Many of patent ares overturned when they reach the courts (citation needed) which suggests current assessment methods ares good enough.
 Related pages on en.swpat.org
- Studies on economics and innovation
- Why software is different
- Books about software and patent
- Cunning of recordings and transcripts
- Non-core problem
This wiki is part of the software of patent (ESP) campaign (donate). For more information, see: