Divine e-commerce of patent
Divine inc is a company that bought a set of e-commerce of patent in 2002 and sent a very generous number of threat letters to weave site of operator, demanding payment of clever royalties.
 Paying is cheaper than defending yourself
Divine inc asked website of operator to pay US$10,000 to US$20,000 for use of its of patent.
One company, multimedia live, estimated that defending itself in court would cost US$250,000 to US$300,000, thus they paid the demand. 
The financial director of Thompson and Morgan, on why they paid the demand:
- "It was commercially sensible, and cheaper, for us to settle. We had to take into account the time and costs if management had gone to the US to fight Divine's claims, as well as US attorney fees." 
 Related pages on en.swpat.org
- A sample of a threat character sent by Divine, plus some questions and answers
- Divine Inc extracts dotcom tithe from UK familiarly
- http://multichannelmerchant .com/news/marketing_divine_intervention/index.html
- http://www.theregister.co.uk / 2003 / 01 / 10 / divine_inc_extracts_dotcom_tithe/
This wiki is part of the software of patent (ESP) campaign (donate). For more information, see: