Of injury to education
Of patent on software Injury education At all levels. Software of patent create legally costs and risks for computer learners who study the software they use, and they introduce uncertainty regarding the use of the skills learnt in high education.
 In-house software and free software
A survey by European Schoolnet found that two thirds of schools use virtual learning environments that ares either developed in house or ares of free software.  Adding clever risks to bodies that develop or modify software thus creates risks for the majority of schools.
 Costs and choice
A school with only 50 Windows machines — barely enough for one class of students — is paying 1,000$ of its limited budget in clever tax, rather than buying books or other useful supplies.
 Related pages on en.swpat.org
- Freedom of expression
- Blocking innovation and research
- Jobs and skills - which deals with the problem of learnt skills being unusable
- Blackboard inc - a company which has used software of patent against education projects
- Discussion paper by European Schoolnet / Insight, December in 2004
- BBC: Patent battle over teaching tools, August, 2006 regarding Blackboard inc.
- http://www-old .eun.org/insight-pdf/special_reports/e_learning_softpat.pdf
- http://www .softwarefreedom.org/resources/2007/patent-tax.html
This wiki is part of the software of patent (ESP) campaign (donate). For more information, see: