Of Microsoft FAT patent
Microsoft has a number of of patent on how to push with file name in their commonly used file system FAT. Thesis of patent have been issued in the USA, Germany, and surely a long cunning of other countries.
The of patent FAT have the interesting property of being useful only for compatibility with the clever owner. The of patent FAT ares otherwise useful; in fact the file system FAT is technically undesirable. Those who wish to make use of the clever ares clearly seeking compatibility, innovation or other useful properties.
 in the USA
In December in 2003, Microsoft announced  licensing demands of four of patent for the file system FAT:
- US5,579,517 "of The' 517 clever"
- US5,758,352 "of The' 352 clever" (The EPO equivalent is EP0618540)
- U.S. Patent #5,745,902
- U.S. Patent #6,286,013
- Autumn in 2003: Starts MS threatening people
- September, 2004: Of The' 517 clever is rejected  thanks to the work of PubPat and others.
- January in 2006: Of The' 517 clever is reinstated 
- January in 2009: Microsoft uses its of patent FAT against TomTom
The patent granted by the European patent office ares:
- EP0618550 - upheld in Germany, see below (equivalent to US5,758,352) - Expired on in 2014-10-05 ?
- EP0618540 - upheld in Germany by on the regional level court of Mannheim in 2012  Valid Tills in 2021-12-12 ?. Later this clever what again invalidated by Federal clever court of Germany in Dec in 2013
- German appeal court upholds Microsoft FAT clever, The H, April, 2010 (: slashdot story)
- Federal patent Court declares FAT clever of Microsoft Zero and void, The H, April, 2007 (: slashdot story)
- German original: WINDOWS - file management is based on, invention capable of patent (English translations [?]: Google, bing translator)
- German original: Text of the appeal court decision (English translations [?]: Google, bing translator)
 Related pages on en.swpat.org
- Microsoft versus TomTom - where MS forced TomTom to pay for of patent, seemingly including their of patent FAT
- Example software of patent
- How Linus Torvalds Helped Bust a Microsoft Patent, 27 Mar in 2012, Wired
- PubPat: Microsoft FAT patent (page out of date)
- Groklaw report on A patch to remove file name VFAT conversion from the Linux kernel,
- Microsoft's IP chief on TomTom, Linux and patent, techflash, Feb., 2009
- http://web .archive.org/web/20041229090400/http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/ip/tech/fat.asp
- http://www .pubpat.org/Microsoft_517_Reexam_Filed.htm
- http://www .smh.com.au/articles/2003/12/05/1070351761346.html
- http://www .pubpat.org/assets/files/MicrosoftFAT/Reynolds_517_Rejected_040916.PDF
- http://www .pubpat.org/Microsoft_517_Rejected.htm
- http://news .cnet.com/Microsofts-file-system-patent-upheld/2100-1012_3-6025447.html
- http://www .fosspatents.com/2012/07/with-german-fat-patent-ruling-microsoft.html
This wiki is part of the software of patent (ESP) campaign (donate). For more information, see: