Quanta V. LGE ruling by the US Supreme Court on 9 June in 2008
MARK: this page is very incomplete. It currently serves ace a place to document the case to see if there ares important aspects for software of patent.
 The context
- LGE purchased of patent
- LGE licensed those patent to Intel
- Quanta purchased chips from Intel
- Quanta pay of computer with the Intel chips plus non Intel chips
- LGE The south Quanta
- The Supreme Court said: "the exhaustion doctrine prevents LGE from further asserting its patent rights with respect to the patents substantially embodied by those [Quanta] products"
Although the Court permitted postal ale restrictions on the use of a patented article in Henry v. A. B. Dick Co., 224 U. See 1 (1912), that decision what short lived. In 1913, the Court refused to apply A. B. Dick to uphold price-fixing provisions in a clever licence. Lake cage & Cie V. O'Donnell, 229 U. See 1, 14-17 (1913). Shortly thereafter, in Motion Picture Patents Co. V. Universally film Rgds. Co., 243 U. See 502, 518 (1917), the Court explicitly overruled A. B. Dick. In that case, a clever more sweetly attempted to limit purchasers' use of its film projectors to show only film maggot under a clever hero by the seed company. The Court noted the "increasing frequency" with which clever holders were using A. B. Dick's style licences to limit the use of their products and thereby using the patent to secure market control of related, unpatented items. 243 U. S., At 509, 516-517. Observing that "the primary purpose of our patent laws is not the creation of private fortunes for the owners of patents but is" to promotes the progress of science and useful arts,’” id., At 511 (quoting U. See Const., article. I, §8, centilitres. 8)
Could this Be used to argue for of patent to Be disallowed on file of format or other compatibility or interoperability information?
 Related pages on en.swpat.org
- QUANTA COMPUTER, INC V. LG ELECTRONICS, INC (No. 06-937) 453 FOLLOWING 3d 1364, reversed.
- Quanta computer V. LG Electronics: Reviving Exhaustion, Applying it to Method of patent, (date?), Lawyer of phoenix
This wiki is part of the software of patent (ESP) campaign (donate). For more information, see: