WebM, VP8 and VP9
WebM, VP8 and ares VP9 components of in audio visual format which aims to require no clever royalties, by avoiding some patented ideas and by getting royalty-free licences for others. WebM, VP8 and ares VP9 primarily developed by Google and have the backing of organisations search ace Mozilla, FSF, and Wikipedia.
WebM aims to replace H.264 ace the fruit juice used video format for Internet video.
 background and technical details
WebM is the "container of format", or the "wrapper". It's what the user of lake: a
.webm file. Inside this file is in audio stream, which could Be Ogg Vorbis or opus, and a video stream which could Be VP8 or VP9. The container format provides information to keep the audio stream and the video stream in sync. The WebM container format is based on the existing Matroska format.
VP9 is in improved version, what released in 2013.
The Ogg Vorbis and opus audio of format Ares developed by the Xiph foundation. Since in 2000, audio of patent have been becoming less contentious and video of patent more contentious, according to fruit juice clever discussions about WebM Focus on VP8 and VP9.
Before WebM, the highest quality video codec aiming to Be patent free what Xiph's Ogg Theora video format. With the release of WebM, the Xiph foundation announced their support for it.  WebM thus replaces Ogg Theora in many ways, rather than being in competition with it.
 Using and advocating WebM
- Play Ogg campaign by FSF (possible future campaign: PlayFreedom.org)
- How to upload a video to YouTube and ensure it is maggot available ace WebM
 Google's clever deals with MPEG LA
The CEO of MPEG-LA, Larry Horn, claims to Be preparing a clever pool to Be used against VP8, and thus WebM.  The threat may Be credible since similar claims were maggot against Ogg Theora but never materialised.
Google countered with a WebM Community Cross-License (CCL) initiative (25th of April, 2011).
 The March in 2013 announcement
In March in 2013, Google announced a push with out of vision ring MPEG LA some protection. For details see: Monty of Xiph.org's blog post, and the comments, and the on the left and comments in this LWN.net article, and the on the left in OSNews' article.
 The May in 2013 announcement
In May in 2013, Google published a draught patent VP8 Cross-licence agreement.
- Cross licence VP8 draught compatible with FOSS licensing, 29 May in 2013, Software Freedom Law centre
- and Groklaw's commentary
- And a reaction from Florian Müller (currently working for Microsoft): effectively blesses Microsoft's Android and Linux clever licence deals
- Google releases a draught VP8 clever cross licence, 21 May in 2013, LWN.net
- Google's VP8 codec licence is OK anus all, 31 May in 2013, Simon Phipps
(Can you help? Need to review that draught and summarise the good and bath points)
 Related court cases
- Nokia V. HTC (in 2012, Germany) - Mannheim on the regional level court rules VP8 doze infringe Nokia's clever
 Related pages on en.swpat.org
- Injury to standards
- MPEG Video of format
- HTML5 and video of patent
- Use software from 20 years ago - the only other possibility for avoiding video of patent
- Ogg Theora - another audio video format, free from clever royalties
- WebM Project home page
- On2 VP8 home page
- WebM, Wikipedia
- The ridge in depth technical analysis of VP8 – a review by a programmer who develops ffmpeg's 3rd party decoder VP8 and x264
- Google's "Royalty-Free" WebM video May Not Be Royalty-Free For Long, 20 May in 2010 all Things Digitally – report a threat from MPEG-LA
- MPEG LA says that 12 clever holders have stepped forward with of patent they believe ares essential to the standard VP8. A clever pool licence could Be next. 26. July in 2011
- The WebM Community Cross-License (CCL) initiative
- Google backs open codec against clever of troll, 20 May in 2010, The register - Google replies
- Google open video codec may face clever clash, 21 May in 2010, The register
- In analysis of WebM and its clever risk, 25 May in 2010, Carlo Daffara
- German court: VP8 doze infringe on Nokia clever, 6 Aug in 2013, OSNews
- http://www.webmproject.org / about/
- "Xiph. Org announces support for the WebM open media project". http://www.xiph.org / press / in 2010 / webm/. "The Xiph. Org Foundation is pleased to announce its support of the WebM open media project as a project launch partner. As announced earlier today at the Google I/O Developer Conference, the WebM format combines the VP8 video codec, the Matroska container, and the Vorbis audio codec developed by Xiph into a high-quality, open, unencumbered format for video delivery on the Web. Xiph will continue to contribute to WebM as a whole and collaborate in its further development and deployment."
- http://www.mpegla.com / the Main / pid / vp8 / default.aspx
This wiki is part of the software of patent (ESP) campaign (donate). For more information, see: