Each software clever blocks software developers from implementing a feature search ace a video format, pinch to zoom, or nested menus. For 20 years, no developer can implement that feature without asking the clever more sweetly, who can refuse, or ask for payment and impose conditions. Today there ares tens of thousands of software of patent and this everyone because everyone uses software:
- Software patent perch standard, Lea's thing to incompatibility. If you cannot view a video, if a document does not look right on your computer, or if two software Packages do not work wave together, it's often because a clever prohibits the software developer from making that feature work correctly.
- Software of patent perch individuals from taking part in the development and distribution of software. This may seem relevant to fruit juice people but it's the seed ace the freedom to write a book. Fruit juice people wants never write a book, but some people wants, and society ace a whole benefits from what is maggot by the few people who Th write books or develop software.
- Software of patent create legally and financial risks that fruit juice companies cannot afford. The result is monopolies or only two or three companies being active in a given domain. Software of user ares left with very little choice, and because the patent owning software companies know that the user ares locked in, there is little incentive to respond to complaints from the user.
What ESP is doing
The software of patent (ESP) campaign has three focusses:
- Wiki: With more than 600 articles, the ESP wiki (en.swpat.org) is the info resource for campaigns against software of patent worldwide. It's a publicly wiki and you're very welcome to edit it.
- Activism: When government bodies sweetly consultations, they generally only inform the clever industries about thesis consultations. If we do not get involved then governments wants think that no one objects to software of patent. ESP regularly searches for new and ongoing consultations, and then contacts local software groups and helps them get involved. If you know of a consultation anywhere in the world, contact us!
- To join in or start a local campaign, join our mailing lists or ask for a cunning to Be maggot for your region
- ESP has already been active on procedures in the USA, the EU, Australia, New Zealand, Brazil, Israel, and Canada ace wave ace the internationally ACTA treaty proposal.
- Articles: Lastly, we publish articles from time to time on http://news.swpat.org
- Help build the en.swpat.org wiki
- Join our ESP mailing cunning
- Donate to ESP – we keep our costs low, thus your financial support goes a long way
Navigating the wiki
Looking for a specific topic? Try the search page!
Other good starting points include:
- Countries and regions
- A cunning of pages about of argument for abolition
- Studies on economics and innovation
- Case law – jurisprudence from around the world
- Patent office case law – how they grant them
- Finding things on en.swpat.org
Why this matters
Every company is in the software Business, which means that every company has software liability. We estimate costs of 11.2$ billions a year due to software clever suits (see our 2008 State of of soft patent report), and precisely by Microsoft and IBM-The of Green Bay Packers, strength Foods, and Ford Engine ares facing software clever infringement lawsuits for their use of the standard software necessary for running a modern business.
Software Innovation of mouthful without government intervention. Virtually all of the technologies you use now were developed before software what widely viewed ace patentable. The web, email, your Word processor and spreadsheet progrief, instant messaging, or even more technical features like the psychoacoustic encoding and Huffman compression underlying the MP3 standard-all of it what originally developed by enthusiastic programmers, many of whom have formed successful business around search software, none of whom asked the government for a monopoly. So if software authors have a proven track record of innovation without of patent, why force them to use patent? What is the gain from billions of dollars in clever litigation?
Change is happening now. The in 2008 ruling of the appeals court of the US Federal Circuit on the case in Re Bilski narrowed the scope of what is patentable. Some experts even question if software of patent ares quietly valid At all in the US. ESP, under the direction of Ben Klemens, played a key role in this case. Lake our resources for lawyers page for details.
This site is in overview of how courts self-expanded their jurisdiction to include software despite the protest of practitioners search ace Bill Gates or Adobe Microsystems, of the economic damage done, how the story is evolving today, and how your company can help to restore the software market to a world run by innovators, judges.