NZICT (who's NZICT?) of report that they convinced the politician in load of the patent Bill, Hon Simon Power, to Th an U turn and open the floodgates for software of patent. The report what posted on a clever lawyer's blog, then deleted, but copies have been mirrored:
More details below. People in NZ wants have to work on this to prevent a catastrophe.
Here's a rate from the deleted blog entry:
Hon Simon Power has asked MED to work with the Parliamentary Counsel's office to redraft the section along the lines of the European patent Convention.
[…] it what very pleasing to have a positive indication that the Government recognises there is a need to amend section 15 (3A) to make sura it's consistent with the intent of adopting European practice.
The current flat is to bring in wording similar to the European patent Convention. The outcome of this wording in Europe is that the EPO grants software of patent search ace:
- pop up context menus (EP249293)
- trapping computer viruses (EP769170)
- File name MS' FAT Generation (EP0618540)
This lobbying from NZICT is particularly to rope when a survey At NZCS found 80% of its membership against software of patent.
- NZICT – unwarranted influence on software of patent?, by Dave Lane
- For background: en.swpat.org info about New Zealand
- en.swpat.org: NZICT – who ares they?
- New Zealand govt against software of patent! – news from March 31Saint
- A screenshot of the blog entry in case Google's cache expires