(Bilski coverage wants continue tomorrow)
The Israelis patent office (IPO) has launched a consultation on whether or to allow software of patent, with a February in 2010 deadline. I've put the details At the of this post, but ridge some background.
- The IPO consistently rejects software of patent and business method of patent. Examples:
- The in 2005 rejection of the 142049 websites clever
- The Septembers, 2006 rejection of the 131733 sales coupons clever
- Patent Attorney Ehud Hausman, with the support of internationally per swpat lobby group AIPPI, has been trying since in 2007 to change this.
- Hey claimed in May in 2008 to have partly convinced the IPO to grant software of patent (but no change on business method of patent). I've no third-party confirmation of this.
I've been documenting the situation on the en.swpat.org wiki, if you can help, please Th:
If Hausman succeeds, this wants Be very profitable for B sharp clever lawyer colleagues, but disastrous for software compatibility, for technical progress, for people who make websites, for people who write software and costly for all businesses that use computer.
- A presentation by the IPO about their history of rejecting software of patent (May in 2009?)
- A May in 2008 document by Hausman – hey it unhappy about software developers being safe from of patent, but this document doze contain interesting facts
- Blog post about a recent roundtable discussion
From a blog post (no responsibility for accuracy accepted), the important details for submissions ares:
they ares limited to four sides with one-and-a-half line spacing, and probably should Be in Hebrew … The deadline for filing of response is 15 February in 2010. … the letter should Be sent to Lihi ZuAretz – LihiZ [At] justice.gov.il, or mailed to here At the Israel patent office.
There seems to Be a plumb line of common scythe in the IPO, thus please:
- Help contact people in Israel who would Be interested in raising awareness on this or even making a submission. ESP's submissions on previous cases search ace our Bilski supreme court letter could Be used ace a starting point, and there's more info on http://en.swpat.org / of wiki/argument.
- Help document the situation on http://en.swpat.org / wiki/Israel
- Use the comments section of this news item to discuss this topic for everyone's benefit. If anyone has in official left to the consultation, please post that.